Kindness

NSFW Mar. 7th, 2011 09:03 pm
annariel: Ethan from Primeval (Primeval:Ethan)
[personal profile] annariel
Title: Kindness
Character: Ethan Dobrowski
Word Count: 100
Challenge: 29
Rating: 12/13
Warning: Death of a child.

Katerina Dobrowski was twelve, cheerful and brave. She had enough english for Patrick to work with. He tried be her big brother in their scary world.

Then she fell and broke her leg. The wound went bad. She screamed with the pain for days and raged in feverish russian. Patrick whispered useless comfort. When she started coughing up blood in great hacking spasms that shook her body he could stand it no longer. It was simple to place his hand over her mouth and nose and hold it there until the pain was gone.

He never mentioned her to anyone.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-07 09:34 pm (UTC)
fredbassett: (Default)
From: [personal profile] fredbassett
Oh god, heartbreaking!

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-07 09:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lsellersfic.livejournal.com
I don't like the "I found I liked killing" explanation for Ethan - or at least not as baldly stated as that, though I think this maybe veers too much towards and apologia.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-07 09:43 pm (UTC)
fredbassett: (Default)
From: [personal profile] fredbassett
It reminded me of the scene in the remake of Survivors when everyone left Tom alone with a dying & suffering member of the group, obviously hoping he'd have the guts to do what needed to be done, but then when he did do, they all kept up the pretence of not knowing.

It's a very powerful scenario, and I think you did do justice to it.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-08 11:43 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lsellersfic.livejournal.com
I didn't see that episode of the new survivors, sounds very powerful!

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-08 11:47 am (UTC)
fredbassett: (Default)
From: [personal profile] fredbassett
It was very well done. Tom was one of my favourite characters, and it was a fabulous bit where everyone was glad of his darker side, but wanted to pretend it hadn't happened.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-09 11:19 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lsellersfic.livejournal.com
I think I saw the first 4/5 episodes of the first season and none of the second. At the time I bailed I felt they were toning down his darkness, now we knew him. In fact I felt the series was rather ducking issues. I'm glad to hear it toughened itself up a bit.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-07 10:25 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] knitekat.livejournal.com
Eek *hugs Ethan*

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-08 11:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lsellersfic.livejournal.com
He's a poor misunderstood fluffy bunny really :/

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-07 10:29 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lukadreaming.livejournal.com
Oh, that's very powerful and frightening.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-08 11:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lsellersfic.livejournal.com
Thanks! I'm still not quite sure what I make of Ethan, beyond I'd like him more nuanced than he first appears on the show.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-07 11:13 pm (UTC)
ext_27141: (Conclusive Proof)
From: [identity profile] telperion-15.livejournal.com
That was heartbreaking, and very well done.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-08 11:46 am (UTC)

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-07 11:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] madscribbles.livejournal.com
*whimpers*

Also... he took her name! Very sad and yet I find myself squeeing about it.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-08 11:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lsellersfic.livejournal.com
This probably has something to do with being a fangirl!

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-08 04:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nietie.livejournal.com
OMG! This is chilling. Poor Katerina. Poor Ethan.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-09 11:12 am (UTC)

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-09 11:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] deinonychus-1.livejournal.com
oh, poor Ethan/Patrick.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-03-09 12:21 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lsellersfic.livejournal.com
Still trying to get my brain around him so that I actually believe in him as a person.

Profile

annariel: Romana 2 from Doctor Who (Default)
annariel

March 2020

S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
2223242526 2728
293031    

Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags